Local History Event
scheduled for May 1, 2021
First Land Entries
Let's visit Metamora in 1867
Mount - Holland Plat of 1838
In 1838 David Mount and William Holland platted 42 lots along the proposed course of the Whitewater Canal and named the town Metamora.
It is important to realize that the area was already settled at this time, and commonly known as Duck Creek. In the advertising for the sale of town lots David Mount promotes the fact that "Such has been the demand for a place of business at this point, that though no town has heretofore been laid off, a store, tannery, post office, and numerous mechanic shops have been established and are doing an excellent business, and the proprietors in laying out this town, believe they are merely answering the wishes and wants of the rich and rapidly improving country around." From this it can be seen that Metamora was not a frontier outpost in the wilderness but rather a business development fueled by prospective state-funded infrastructure enhancements.
In 1826 The Duck Creek Club was formed for the detection of thieves, with an 18 article Constitution outlining the conduct of the society and the formation of pursuing corps. In the list of founding members we see many names associated with the early history of the town; Mount, Holland, McWhorter, Pond, Curry, and Blackledge, for example.