Historic Metamora Inc is involved in the village of Metamora, IN which we fondly call "Indiana's Canal Town". Platted in 1838 along the planned route of the Whitewater Canal, the town retains much of the character of a Hoosier village of the late 1800's.
Metamora Canal Days Autumn Festival
Three days beginning the first Friday in Oct
For almost 50 years the fall has meant gathering along the Whitewater Canal. Canal Days is the busiest single weekend of our year, when vendors set up booths along the streets and visitors hunt for treasures. We like to say that if you can't find it at Canal Days, you don't need it.
Historic Metamora maintains the street lights and sign area at the entrance to the town on Columbia Street, and the flower boxes on the bridge over the Whitewater Canal. We have placed fingerpost style street name signs at main intersections in the village and are considering the best form of information and directional signing to implement.
Indiana Landmarks is the largest membership historic preservation group existing. Historic Metamora is a proud affiliate member of this organization. We participate in affiliate council meetings and attend conferences arranged by Landmarks and other partner groups. Through this affiliation we have access to the resources of Indiana Landmarks.
Metamora is an unincorporated village, and Historic Metamora helps to provide some support for community efforts that would normally be handled by governmental units. We partner with the Merchant Association of Metamora to take care of such things as holiday decorations and logistical support for special events in the town.
Wynn Street Church
The oldest house of worship in the village, in continuous use since the mid 1800s.
Built by the Methodist Episcopal congregation, it served through many generations of Methodists until 2022, It is now home to a non-denominational congregation, Bountiful Ways of Grace.
The church is owned by Historic Metamora and is undergoing much needed maintenance and repair.
The accompanying photo was taken in the early 1900s, after the addition of the entry area on the north face of the building.